Beachport DispenserWater medication made easy
The stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser is extremely robust and specially designed to allow the fine sieved Beachport Liquid Minerals to meter out over 48-72 hours, allowing all animals on the water point to have access to the product. It simply screws onto a 5L, 10L or 20L drum.
The dispenser works on air and water pressure, so water replaces the product in the drum over the dosing period. Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is part of the distribution of the product.
How to Use
The best method of application for our liquid supplements is via the water supply using the stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser, which simply screws onto an empty five, 10 or 20L drum. Empty drums are available to buy if required (if using your own drums ensure they have not previously contained poisons).
Drums must not be completely filled. There needs to be enough space left in the drum for air pressure to build and make the dispenser work. At least half of the drum needs to be filled to ensure effective flow rates.
The dispenser has an inlet and outlet that are constantly under water in the trough, trapping the air inside and maintaining constant air pressure. For every millilitre of product that is released through the outlet, approx. a millilitre of water is sucked back in. For example, if you put 15L of Beachport in a 20L drum, three days later this will have been replaced by 15L of water.
NOTE: DO NOT screw Beachport Dispenser directly onto a full drum of product. Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is part of the distribution of product. You can also add extra water in the drum if using low volumes of Beachport product. This will help to avoid too much air pressure in warmer weather, as it can force low volumes to dispense faster.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances can Beachport Liquid Minerals be mixed with other products in the water supply. This includes Urea.
- The Beachport Dispenser screws onto a 20L, 10L or 5L drum.
- Fill the clean, empty drum with Beachport Liquid Minerals livestock supplement (according to dose rates on the label of the product). If only a small amount of product is required, you can add extra water for weight to ensure the drum stays in the trough.
- Screw the Beachport Dispenser tightly onto the drum.
- Where possible, empty trough to ensure clean cool water.
- Drop the drum with dispenser into the trough. It will automatically right itself into the correct position. The stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser will be under water.
- Let the drum move freely around the trough – the stock will not be able to knock it out.
- Leave the drum dispensing in the trough for at least three days. Return and empty the remaining water mix in the drum into the trough. Job’s done!
- In six weeks, repeat the process!
The stainless-steel Beachport Dispensers are extremely robust and every dispenser is thoroughly checked prior to dispatch. Follow our instructions below when cleaning is required. If you have any other queries, please refer to the following checklist.
Is the water in the trough reasonably clean?
Unclean water containing too much grass or soil can cause blockages to the holes in the dispenser.
Has some air space been left in the dispensing drum?
The maximum amount of product you can have in a 20L drum is 18L, leaving 2L of air. For a 10L drum only fill with 8L of product. For a 5L drum, only fill to a maximum of 4L. The dispenser operates on air and water pressure, so it needs this pocket of air to function correctly.
The dispenser is not dispensing the product. Why not?
Water quality and temperature can have a small effect on the flow rate. Very hard water may slow the process a little; just leave the drum in the trough for an extra day.
Have you left the dispenser in the trough for a long period of time?
It is not recommended to leave the dispenser in the trough for prolonged periods as you can risk sediment building up and blocking the dispenser. A good clean is recommended if this occurs – refer to Maintenance and Cleaning Instructions.
There is still product/water in the drum after three days. Should it be empty?
No. Trough water replaces the volume of product that you initially put in the drum. It will be a slight tea colour from the water mixing with the product.
FOR GENERAL CLEANING
- We recommend washing the dispenser in hot water and blowing out the two holes (grub screws) in the head of the dispenser with an air compressor.
- For calcium build-up, dip the dispenser into CLR and rinse.
- To avoid calcium build-up do not leave the dispenser in trough for prolonged periods.
IF THERE APPEARS TO BE A BLOCKAGE
- The two grub screws are easily removable with a correctly sized Allen key.
- Once the grub screws are removed, the dispenser can be blown out with the use of an air compressor to remove any blockage.
- Keep in mind the two grub screws are different sizes and need to go back into their correct spots.
- Do not screw the Beachport Dispenser directly onto a full drum of Beachport Liquid Minerals product. The correct amount of water must be mixed with the dose first.
- Use a clean, empty dispenser drum to measure the correct amount of Beachport Liquid Minerals per head. Refer to the drum label or our website for dose rates.
- Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is crucial to the distribution of product.
- Do not allow air into the drum while it is dispensing.
- Add extra water to the drum if using low volumes of Beachport. This will help to avoid too much air pressure building up in warmer weather, as this can force low volumes to dispense faster.
The dose rates can be found in the instructions on the drum and on our website. The maximum dose rate for a breeder unit is 50mls for cattle and 10mls for ewes.
Do not exceed 18L of product in a 20L drum or 8L in a 10L drum to ensure at least 2L is left for air pressure. For a 5L drum, only fill to a maximum of 4L. The dispenser operates on air and water pressure, so it needs this pocket of air to function correctly.
The stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser is robust and simple to use. It has been purposely designed for our products and their specific gravity and viscosity requirements. We can make no recommendations on its suitability for use with products by other companies.