Beachport DispenserWater medication made easy
The stainless steel Beachport Dispenser is extremely robust and specially designed to allow the fine sieved Beachport Liquid Minerals to meter out over 48-72 hours, allowing all animals on the water point to have access to the product. It simply screws onto a 5L, 10L or 20L drum.
The dispenser works on air and water pressure so water replaces the product in the drum over the dosing period. Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is part of the distribution of the product.
How to Use
BLM’s best method of application is via the water supply using the stainless steel Beachport Liquid Minerals Dispenser in the water trough. It simply screws into the top of a 5, 10 or 20 ltr drum. (BLM Empty Dispenser Drums available if you need spare drums).
Drum must NOT be completely filled (i.e. 20 litres in a 20 ltr drum). There has to be air pressure in the drum for the dispenser to work correctly over its 3-day dispensing period.
Why: When you look at the dispenser it has an inlet and an outlet that are constantly under water in the trough so the air in the drum is trapped. For every ml of Beachport liquid livestock supplement product that escapes through the outlet over the 3 days a ml of water is sucked back in through the inlet keeping the air pressure constant. So if you put 15 litres of Beachport in a 20 ltr drum 3 days later Beachport will be replaced by 15 litres of water due to the water pressure in the drum.
- The BLM Dispenser screws onto a 20L, 10L or 5L drum.
- Fill the clean, empty drum with Beachport Liquid Minerals livestock supplement (according to dose rates on the back label of the Beachport Liquid Minerals drum). If only a small amount of product is required you can add extra water for weight to ensure the drum stays in the trough.
- Screw the BLM Dispenser tightly onto the top of the drum.
- Ensure the trough has been cleaned thoroughly prior to placing the floating drum and dispenser into the water to prevent the inlet on the dispenser blocking when water is being sucked back into the drum.
- Drop the drum with dispenser into the trough, it will automatically right itself into the correct position with the stainless steel dispenser under water.
- Let the drum move freely around the trough, the stock will not knock it out.
- Leave the drum dispensing in the trough for at least three days then return and empty the water left in drum into the trough (may be a weak tea colour) and take the drum and dispenser to another trough or back to the shed – Jobs Done!
- In 6 weeks repeat the process.
The stainless steel BLM Dispensers are extremely robust and every dispenser is thoroughly checked prior to dispatch. If you have any queries please go through the checklist below or if cleaning is required, follow our cleaning instructions.
Is the water in the trough reasonably clean?
Unclean water can cause blockages to the holes in the dispenser i.e. grass, soil etc.
Has some air space been left in the dispensing drum?
The maximum amount of product you can have in a 20L drum is 18L leaving 2L of air. For a 10L drum only fill with 8L of product. For a 5L drum only fill with a maximum of 4L. The dispenser operates on air and water pressure so it needs this space of air to function correctly.
The dispenser is not dispensing the product over the 2 to 3 day period?
Water quality and temperature may have a small effect on the flow rate. Very hard water may slow the process a little; just leave the drum for an extra day.
Have you left the dispenser in the trough for a long period of time?
It is recommended not to leave the dispenser in the trough for lengthy periods as you can risk sediment build up, blocking the dispenser. A good clean is recommended if this occurs, see Maintenance & cleaning instructions
There is still product/water in the drum after 3 days.
Trough water replaces the same volume of product you put in the drum. Keep in mind it will be a slight tea colour from the water mixing with the product.
FOR GENERAL CLEANING
- We recommend washing the dispenser in hot water and blowing out the two holes (grub screws) in the head of the dispenser with an air compressor.
- For calcium build-up, dip Dispenser into CLR and rinse.
- To avoid calcium build-up do not leave dispenser in trough for any extensive amount of time.
IF THERE APPEARS TO BE A BLOCKAGE
- The two grub screws are easily removable with appropriate size Allen key.
- Once grub screws are removed, the dispenser can be blown out with the use of an air compressor to remove any blockage.
Keep in mind the two grub screws are different sizes and need to go back into the correct order to maintain the correct dispensing time. Refer diagram on PDF file.
- DO NOT screw BLM Dispenser directly onto full drum of Beachport Liquid Minerals product.
- Use an empty dispenser drum to measure the correct amount of Beachport Liquid Minerals calculated per head, refer BLM drum or website for dose rates.
- Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is part of the distribution of product.
- DO NOT allow air into drum during dispensing process.
- Add extra water in the drum if using low volumes of BLM. This will help to avoid too much air pressure in warmer weather, as it can force low volumes to dispense faster.
The dose rates remain the same as per the instructions on the drum or refer DOSE RATE instructions for the product you are using. Maximum dose rates for a breeder unit is 50mls for cattle & maximum 10mls for ewes.
DO NOT exceed 18L of product in a 20L drum or 8L in a 10L drum to ensure at least 2L is left for air pressure.
Our stainless steel dispenser is robust and simple to use, however, it is designed specifically for our products which have a specific gravity and viscosity. We can make no recommendations on its suitability with any other products.