Black CapImprove the health & performance of your sheep
Black Cap has been formulated for sheep to use with worm drenches that have a selenium component or used in conjunction with other products that have selenium included. With the base of the 3-in-1 combination of trace elements, amino acids and electrolytes for improving the performance of cattle & sheep this product is exactly the same formulation as the BLM Blue Cap, with the SELENIUM excluded.
Benefits of Black Cap
- Includes essential trace elements required for optimal wool production
- Feed conversion of both dry and green feed
- Supports rumen development in young animals
- Improves wool cut & tensile strength
- Assist in improving fertility & survival rates
- Aids in tightening up lambing periods with a more even drop.
- High amino acid content (the building block of protein)
- Readily absorbed by the rumen
- Nil withholding period
- 3-year shelf life
All BLM products have several application methods, designed for ease of use and flexibility to suit your program. The simplest most effective method is via the water trough using our BLM Dispenser, but it can be also used via a water tank, orally dosing, mixed with hay and feed. See below for further information on each application method.
- Work out how many stock on water point: e.g. 250 adult ewes x 10mls = 2.5 Ltrs. (For larger mobs consider splitting the dose and treating every 3 weeks.)
- Measure 2.5 Ltrs of Black Cap into a clean, empty 10 ltr drum. Add another 2.5L of water to ensure drum sits low in the trough. (Note: DO NOT fill drum with added water to the top. Leave some space for air as the Dispenser works on air and water pressure.)
- Screw the BLM Dispenser tightly onto the top of the drum.
- Ensure the trough has been cleaned thoroughly prior to placing the floating drum and dispenser into the water to prevent the inlet on the dispenser blocking when water is being sucked back into the drum.
- Drop the drum with dispenser into the trough, it will automatically right itself into the correct position with the stainless steel dispenser under water.
- Let the drum move freely around the trough, the stock will not knock it out.
- Leave the drum dispensing in the trough for at least three days then return and empty the water left in drum into trough (may be a weak tea colour) and take drum and dispenser to another trough or back to the shed – Jobs Done!
- Repeat the above process on a 6 weekly cycle.
BLM’s best method of application is via the water supply using the stainless steel Beachport Liquid Minerals Dispenser in the water trough. It simply screws into the top of a 5, 10 or 20 ltr drum. (BLM Empty Dispenser Drums available if you need spare drums).
Drum must NOT be completely filled (i.e. 20 ltrs in a 20 ltr drum). There has to be air pressure in the drum for the dispenser to work correctly over its 3 day dispensing period.
Why: When you look at the dispenser it has an inlet and an outlet that are constantly under water in the trough so the air in the drum is trapped. For every ml of Beachport that escapes through the outlet over the 3 days a ml of water is sucked back in through the inlet keeping the air pressure constant. So if you put 15 ltrs of Beachport in a 20 ltr drum 3 days later Beachport will be replaced by 15 ltrs of water due to the water pressure in the drum.
Note: Ensure at least half the drum contains product or a combination of BLM & water, to ensure flow rates are not affected.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances can BLM products be mixed with other products in the water supply at the same time. This includes UREA.
- If mixing BLM with other products perform a jar test to ensure the products are compatible
- Mix the day of use and do not store any remaining mixture.
- When drenching sheep, use a short nozzle gun and take care not to drench into lungs.
Black Cap can be used through drench guns without blockages when necessary but the most efficient, low stress method is via the water.
- BLM Black Cap has been specifically designed for orally drenching and can be mixed with other products containing selenium.
- Ensure drench gun is cleaned thoroughly.
- Calculate the amount of product needed based on the number of stock being supplied by the tank.
- Pour the required amount directly into the tank. DO NOT turn off tank, let it fill as normal.
- BLM should not be put in a tank with excessive sediment present.
Note: If multiple tanks in line ensure closest tank to stock is dosed.
- Dose amounts remain the same.
- You can pour the correct dose amount directly into the tank but ensure that the tank does not overflow. Ensure the header tank to be treated has NO leaks.
- DO NOT turn tank supply off risking stock running out of water. Water flow is essential to allow the Black Cap to suspend in the water and clouds on movement to outlet.
- Mix the required amount of product with a volume of water that is sufficient enough to be able to evenly pour onto the hay that’s been fed out.
- Add an extra 10% of product to allow for wastage.
- Dose over 3 applications, NOT one.
Key times of use
If using Black Cap every 6 weeks isn’t feasible in your operation, consider using in these key times.
- Pre-Joining. Treat ewes 2-3 weeks prior to putting the ram in.
- Pre-Lambing. Treat 2 weeks prior to lambing. This will see the animal through lambing in to lactation and help with recovery. HIGHLY recommend using in water NOT orally dosing to reduce stress on heavily pregnant animals.
- Rams: Start using 6 weeks prior to mating
- Feed Conversion: for dry and green feed to maximise production.
Frequency Rate is once every 6 weeks at the dose rates in the table below or as directed by a Veterinary Surgeon. Black Cap Selenium Free is recommended for sheep. If drenching use a short nozzle gun, and take care not to drench onto lungs.
SHEEP DOSE RATES
|Age||Dose Volume (mls)||Frequency|
|Weaned lambs||10 mls||6 weeks|
|Hoggetts||10 mls||6 weeks|
|Adult Sheep||10 mls||6 weeks|
PRICE PER ADULT DOSE
|Drum Size||Per 10ml Dose||Per Year (9 doses)|
Every batch of Beachport Liquid Minerals product has an individual analysis by a NATA accredited Laboratory available. The table below are the target analysis results.
|Essential Elements||Target Result||Unit|
This product also contains fulvic acid & kelp/seagrass extract.
BLM is a feed conversion tool, this means that animals are able to utilise anything that is going down their throats more efficiently. For example: If you were to put urea in the water at the same time as BLM you will find that the Urea will become 60% more available. This can be quite dangerous as urea can poison stock. If you use copper blocks for algae treatment, take them out prior to putting in the BLM. Once the BLM is out of the trough (4-5 days) you can put the blocks back in the trough. Once again the copper will become more available and may poison the stock. You can use BLM in conjunction with licks and block (containing urea) just not in the water at the same time.