Black CapImprove the performance of your sheep
Black Cap is our selenium free supplement for sheep. It is based on our Blue Cap formulation, but it can be used if you are already using other products containing selenium. For best results use Black Cap in the water supply with the Beachport Dispenser, but it can also be poured on hay or mixed with feed.
Black Cap contains the Beachport 3-in-1 combination of trace elements, amino acids, and electrolytes for improving performance. Along with the seagrass/kelp extract and electrolytes, it includes cobalt, copper, manganese, zinc, magnesium, potassium, sodium, sulphur and iodine.
Beachport’s unique liquid supplements pass through the rumen without being broken down to be absorbed via the small intestine into the animals’ blood stream. From here it slowly releases in the blood stream, similar to an injection over a six-week period.
Benefits of Black Cap
Black Cap aids in:
- Feed conversion of both dry and green feed
- Livestock better utilising fresh green feed
- Trace element deficiencies
- Supporting rumen development in young animals
- Improving fertility and survival rates
- Tightening up lambing periods with a more even drop
- Improving the health of poorer doing livestock
- Improving wool cut and tensile strength
- Includes essential trace elements for optimal wool production
- High amino acid content (the building blocks of protein)
- Ease of application
- Nil withholding period
- Three-year shelf life
- Less labour and cost as it’s not a daily application
All Beachport Liquid Minerals products are designed for ease of use and flexibility to suit your program. The simplest, most effective method for Black Cap is via the water trough using our Beachport Dispenser. However, it can also be applied via a water tank, or mixed with hay or feed. See below for further information.
Work out how many stock are on the water point.
250 adult ewes x 10mls = 2.5L
- Measure 2.5L of Black Cap into a clean, empty 10L drum. Add another 2.5L of water. (Note: Do not fill the drum. Leave some space as the dispenser works on air and water pressure.)
- Screw the Beachport Dispenser tightly onto the drum.
- Where possible, empty trough to ensure clean cool water.
- Drop the drum with dispenser into the trough. It will automatically right itself into the correct position. The stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser will be under water.
- Let the drum move freely around the trough – stock will not be able to knock it out.
- Leave the drum dispensing in the trough for 48-72 hours.
- When you return to collect the drum, empty the remaining water mix into the trough.
- In six weeks, repeat the process!
The best method of application for our liquid supplements is via the water supply using the stainless-steel Beachport Dispenser, which simply screws onto an empty five, 10 or 20L drum. Empty drums are available to buy if required (if using your own drums ensure they have not previously contained poisons).
Drums must not be completely filled. There needs to be enough space left in the drum for air pressure to build and make the dispenser work. At least half of the drum needs to be filled to ensure effective flow rates.
The dispenser has an inlet and outlet that are constantly under water in the trough, trapping the air inside and maintaining constant air pressure. For every millilitre of product that is released through the outlet, approx. a millilitre of water is sucked back in. For example, if you put 15L of Beachport in a 20L drum, three days later this will have been replaced by 15L of water.
NOTE: DO NOT screw Beachport Dispenser directly onto a full drum of product. Allow the drum to move freely in the trough, as movement is part of the distribution of product. You can also add extra water in the drum if using low volumes of Beachport product. This will help to avoid too much air pressure in warmer weather, as it can force low volumes to dispense faster.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances can Beachport Liquid Minerals be mixed with other products in the water supply. This includes Urea.
- Calculate the amount of product needed by the number of livestock watering from the tank.
- Pour the required amount directly into the tank. Do not turn off the tank – let it fill normally. If you have multiple tanks in line, dose the closest tank to stock.
- Beachport should not be put in a tank with excessive sediment. Make sure the tank is clean.
- You can pour the dose directly into the tank, but make sure it doesn’t overflow. Check the tank has no leaks!
- Do not turn off the tank water supply or you’ll risk your stock running out of water. Water flow is essential to allow the Black Cap to cloud in the water supply.
Calculate the amount of product needed by the number of livestock being fed out.
- Mix Beachport product with enough water to cover most of the hay and ensure even dosage.
- Add an extra 10% of product to allow for wastage.
- Ensure at least two applications to ensure even distribution.
Key times of use
If using Black Cap every six weeks isn’t feasible in your operation, consider using in these key times.
- Pre-joining: Treat ewes four weeks prior to putting the ram in.
- Late pregnancy: Treat pre-calving/lambing. If you can only dose once, the optimal time is 4 weeks before calving/lambing for best results and continue after birthing. This will see the breeder through calving/lambing into lactation and help with recovery and survival of newborns.
- Sires: Start using six weeks prior to mating.
- Feed conversion: During change of seasons from dry to green and green to dry to maximise production.
Dose frequency is once every six weeks at the dose rates below, or as directed by a veterinary surgeon. Black Cap is recommended for sheep via water or mixed with feed.
SHEEP DOSE RATES
|Age||Dose Volume (mls)||Frequency|
|Lambs under 30kg||5 mls||6 weeks|
|Adult Sheep||10 mls||6 weeks|
PRICE PER ADULT DOSE
|Drum Size||Per 10ml Dose||Per Year (9 doses)|
Every batch of Beachport is individually analysed by a NATA accredited laboratory. The table below is the target analysis for Black Cap.
|Essential Elements||Target Result||Unit|
This product also contains electrolytes (via fulvic acid) and amino acids (via kelp/seagrass extract).
Beachport Liquid Minerals contains an extremely effective natural electrolyte that gives Beachport the ability to be rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, if other products are dosed at the same time through the water supply, there is considerable risk that the amounts absorbed of the other products may be above what’s recommended safe levels for those products. Therefore, we advise that Beachport is not mixed with any other products when dosing the animals water source. If a trough block is used to keep water clean, remove the block during the time the Beachport dispenser is in the through and replace once the Beachport dispenser has been removed.